Love. Isn't that what it's all about? Whether you are celebrating Valentine's Day with your partner, Galentine's Day with your girlfriends, or a more family-oriented Valentine's Day with your kids, this ice cream float is sure to be a hit. It has all of the ingredients of a classic ice cream float: ice cream and soda. Plus, the additions of cherry juice and vodka (for the grown-ups, of course) take it to the next level. This Valentine's Day treat will make this holiday one to remember.
Valentine's Day Ideas For 2021
Since most people won't be going to restaurants, bars, and events this Valentine's Day, here are some ideas to celebrate a nice Valentine's Day at home.
Valentine's Day For Couples:
Since this Valentine's Day is a little different, why not put together a special at-home Valentine's Day feast for your partner? Here are some ideas for a delicious and romantic Valentine's Day at home:
- Raspberry Brie Puff Pastry Tartlets for an appetizer
- Oven Baked Salmon with Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes and Roasted Vegetable Salad for dinner
- A boozy ice cream float (see recipe below) and some decadent Chocolate Truffles for dessert
Just because we are staying home for Valentine's Day doesn't mean it can't be special. Perhaps a romantic, candle-lit dinner for two at home is just what you need this year.
If you are single, there is no reason this ice cream float should not be a part of your life! A great idea for celebrating Galentine's Day is to have a "BYOC" (Bring Your Own Cocktail) Zoom Happy Hour with your girlfriends. You could bring the awesome boozy ice cream float or a Hot Honey Mojito Mocktail (which, with the addition of booze, can easily become a cocktail!). This is a great opportunity to catch up and share some new cocktail recipes with your friends. And an added bonus: you don't have to worry about having or being a designated driver! (But please, drink responsibly!)
Family Valentine's Day
Many of you will find yourselves celebrating Valentine's Day with your kids this year. Why not have a family movie night? Or a game night? Make these ice cream floats together (they are delicious without the booze, too!). They are so fun to make and your kids will love watching the drinks foam! You could also baked some Spiced Chocolate Chip Cookies to snack on while watching your movie or playing your game. See? Valentine's Day at home doesn't have to be boring!
What Is An Ice Cream Float?
An ice cream float is a drink made with a combination of ice cream and soda - or sometimes, ice cream, soda water, and flavored syrup. The most common ice cream float is a root beer float. When soda and ice cream are combined, a reaction occurs that creates this amazingly rich, creamy foam. It is so delicious!
For me, there is something so nostalgic about a root beer float. I remember when I was a kid and my mom would make root beer floats for my sisters and me. When it was raining outside on the weekend and we couldn't play outside, a movie day and a root beer float made everything better. I used to love snuggling under the blankets with my sisters and watching Disney movies. I have since passed this tradition to my own son and we enjoy root beer floats and movies on rainy days.
How Is This Ice Cream Float Different?
I love root beer floats and Coke floats, but when I was coming up with this recipe, I wanted to do something different. Although you can use cherry ice cream, I prefer vanilla ice cream ing this recipe (Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla is my favorite!). Cherry 7Up makes this ice cream float special. It is sweet, it is pink, and it is perfect for Valentine's Day!
Next, I thought about making it a "grown-up" ice cream float - hello booze! I prefer plain vodka in this recipe, but you could always use a flavored vodka (cherry, vanilla, or whipped cream flavored vodkas would work here). You could also switch the vodka and use a different clear liquor of your choice. If you choose to omit the booze, no problem! Make these ice cream floats sans vodka and everyone in the family will enjoy them!
I wanted to make sure the drink was festive and inviting for Valentine's Day. I accomplished this with a splash of cherry juice, a dollop of whipped cream, sprinkles and a cherry on top. These little details scream, "Happy Valentine's Day!"
Regardless of how you celebrate this year, I wish you a very Happy Valentine's Day. I hope you get to spend time with your loved ones, even if this year looks a little different. Love and joy to all of you from me.
Valentines Day Ice Cream Float
To Make 1 Float:
- 1-2 tbsp. sweetened condensed milk and 1-2 tbsp. pink sprinkles, on separate plates optional - this is to make a sugar rim on your glass - see video above
- 2 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 1 oz. vodka optional - you can also use a flavored vodka OR a different clear liquor here
- ½ oz. maraschino cherry juice
- 1-2 cups cherry flavored lemon-lime soda I prefer Cherry 7Up
- whipped cream, sprinkles, maraschino cherries for garnish
- If you want to sugar the rim of your glass: dip the rim of your glass in sweetened condensed milk first, then dip the rim into sprinkles.
- Add 2 small scoops of vanilla ice cream into the glass.
- Add 1 oz. vodka, ½ oz. maraschino cherry juice, and 1-2 cups of cherry lemon-lime soda - enough soda to finish filling the glass completely.
- Garnish your ice cream float with whipped cream, sprinkles, and a maraschino cherry. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply