At Christmas, relatives from near and far descend upon my home to eat, drink, and be merry. I love to tie on my Santa apron and cook up a storm for my very large family. We have a few vegetarians in my family, so every year I try to come up with vegetarian options to serve that everyone will enjoy. Last year, my triumph was Meatless Breakfast Tacos using Gardein Plant-Based Beefless Ground Crumbles.
The Perfect Vegetarian Breakfast Taco
In my opinion, breakfast tacos need to have the following flavor profile: salty, spicy, tangy. Breakfast tacos need to be served warmly wrapped in corn or flour tortillas. Some people are very opinionated about tortillas - I love both. My favorite breakfast tacos have a delicious combination of perfectly seasoned meat/meat substitute and/or eggs, salty shredded cheese, spicy salsa, and a squirt of sour lime juice. Others may choose to cool their palate with a dollop of sour cream or guacamole. All of these things make my heart happy and my taste buds sing.
Why I Love Gardein
For those of you who are not familiar with Gardein, it is a plant-based meat substitute that actually tastes very similar to meat! It is certainly the best meat substitute that actually tastes like meat that I've come across! So, this Christmas, I decided to try using Gardein Plant-Based Beefless Ground Crumbles in a breakfast taco. The tacos were a hit and I thought I would share this recipe.
As always, all of my recipes are very flexible - if you prefer to use meat and or a different meat substitute - go for it! I even featured this recipe in my blog post: My Three Favorite Dishes to Make with Leftovers. If you are vegan, you can drop the cheese and eggs and add sauteed onions and peppers to go with your Meatless Breakfast Tacos. No matter how you choose to experience it, you will not regret it! Enjoy! 🙂
Meatless Breakfast Tacos
- 1 package Gardein Plant-Based Beefless Ground Crumbles
- 8 large Eggs beaten
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 12 fajita sized Corn and/or Flour Tortillas warmed
- Toppings: salsa, sour cream (or, if you want to be fancy, mix 1-2 teaspoon sriracha with ½ cup sour cream and drizzle on top!), avocado, tomatoes, cheese (I prefer queso fresco or cotija), and/or cilantro. optional
- Warm skillet on stove top using medium high heat. Add Gardein Plant-Based Beefless Ground Crumbles and brown for 3-4 minutes.
- Add eggs and scramble with Gardein Plant-Based Beefless Ground Crumbles for 2-3 minutes, until eggs begin to firm up. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Place eggs into warmed tortillas and garnish with your choice of toppings: salsa, sour cream (or, if you want to be fancy, mix 1-2 teaspoon sriracha with ½ cup sour cream and drizzle on top!), avocado, tomatoes, cheese (I prefer queso fresco or cotija), and/or cilantro.