I can't think of a more celebratory appetizer than Buffalo chicken dip. I have a delicious slow cooker Buffalo chicken dip recipe I want to share with you. It is easy to make in a slow cooker and provides all of the spicy, tangy, salty flavors of your favorite chicken wings. I think you will enjoy this recipe so much that it will become a staple snack in your family, especially while watching the Super Bowl!
If you have been following my blog, you will know how important football season is to my family and me. We love hooting and hollering together on the weekend. We have been known to enjoy an adult beverage while participating in said hooting and hollering. My family also LOVES a good football snack to munch on while we cheer our team as they run up and down the field.
Here are some of my other favorite football snacks:
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings with Hot Honey
- Bacon-Wrapped, Jalapeño-Stuffed Shrimp
- Deviled Eggs
- "Angeled" Eggs
- Raspberry Brie Puff Pastry Tartlets
What Do You Put In Buffalo Chicken Dip?
There are many different variations when it comes to Buffalo chicken dip. My Buffalo chicken dip recipe contains all of the basic flavors of Buffalo chicken wings, plus a few ingredients to take it over the top:
- Shredded chicken
- Buffalo wing sauce
- Ranch dressing mix
- Cream cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- Bleu cheese crumbles
- Chopped green onions
- Ranch or Bleu cheese dressing (your preference)
- Hot sauce (optional)
How Do You Make Buffalo Chicken Dip From Scratch?
I always begin my Buffalo chicken dip recipe with shredded chicken. There are several ways to achieve a good shredded chicken. In this recipe, however, I use a slow cooker to make shredded chicken breasts. I then add the additional ingredients from the list above to the slow cooker and warm everything up to make a delicious Buffalo chicken dip.
How To Prevent A Greasy Buffalo Chicken Dip
If you have ever wondered, "Why is my Buffalo chicken dip greasy?", this recipe will change your life. After the chicken is slow cooked, drained and shredded, add the remaining dip ingredients to the slow cooker. Then, with the slow cooker on the warm setting, the dip melts together gently and becomes gooey and delicious.
The reason Buffalo chicken dip gets greasy or lumpy is usually because of the amount of fat in the dip and how fast it is heated. When you heat the dip slowly, the ingredients are happy! Happy ingredients make happy dip! 🙂
Also, you want to be aware of the amount of cheddar cheese you add to the dip. Cheddar cheese can become greasy when melted, so be sure to follow the recipe to use the correct amount of cheddar cheese. If the steps are followed correctly, I can give you a grease-free guarantee!
Why Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip?
Like most of you, I lead a very busy lifestyle. I have a 6 year old and I run 2 businesses. I don't have a lot of extra time. When I am settled in for an afternoon of football watching on a Saturday, the last thing I want to be doing is standing over a hot stove. I use a slow cooker for this recipe because it does SO MUCH of the "heavy lifting!" It frees my time up so I can relax and be with my loved ones.
Other Useful Tips And Tricks
- Always shred your chicken when it is warm. It is very difficult to shred cold chicken. You can shred the chicken simply with two forks. OR, you can use a hand mixer to shred your chicken! Quick, easy, lifechanging.
- If you are wondering how long until Buffalo chicken dip goes bad, no worries! You will be able to enjoy it for up to 5 days.
- Be sure to know your crowd! Some people have a VERY strong opinion about bleu cheese! If you know you will be among folks who won't touch bleu cheese with a ten-foot pole, you can omit the bleu cheese crumbles. You can also use ranch dressing in lieu of bleu cheese dressing. Or, if your crowd is truly mixed, you can have a bleu cheese half and a ranch half!
- I like serving this dip with celery sticks, carrot sticks, crostini, and crackers!
- My favorite hot wing sauce is Frank's RedHot Hot Buffalo Wings Sauce. What is yours?
Please note, this post contains affiliate links which means I will receive a small commission on the sale of these items at no cost to you.
All of my posts contain my recommendations for essential tools. I have researched these tools. Many of them are already in my kitchen. The ones that are not come highly rated. I do the research so you don’t have to and I only recommend high-quality tools.
If you are just starting to furnish your kitchen with tools or if you are looking to expand your kitchen toolkit, be sure to reference Expert Guide: Equip Your Kitchen for Less Than $200. This guide contains links to all of the equipment items I recommend for a basic kitchen set up.
My essential tools when making this slow cooker Buffalo chicken dip recipe include the following:
Easy Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 2 - 2.5 lbs. chicken breasts 3 chicken breasts
- 1 oz. ranch dressing mix I prefer Hidden Valley Ranch mix
- 1 cup chicken broth low sodium
- 16 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1.5 cups hot wing sauce I prefer Frank's Red Hot brand
- 3 green onions, plus more for garnish chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 0.5 cup ranch or bleu cheese dressing
- 1 cup bleu cheese crumbles optional
- 1 tsp. hot sauce optional
- Season chicken breasts on both sides with ranch dressing mix.
- Pour chicken broth in bottom of crockpot. Place seasoned chicken breasts in crockpot.
- Cook chicken breasts in crockpot for 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high.
- When chicken is done, remove chicken breasts and drain all of the juices. Return chicken breasts to crockpot.
- Shred chicken breasts with 2 forks or with a hand mixer. Add cream cheese, hot wing sauce, and additional hot sauce (optional) and mix with hand mixer.
- Using a spatula, fold in cheddar cheese and green onions.
- Set crockpot to warm, cover, and let the dip gently heat up for 15-20 minutes. This will allow the cheese to melt.
- Garnish the top of the dip with crumbled bleu cheese, green onions, and a drizzle of ranch or bleu cheese dressing. Serve warm and enjoy with vegetables or crackers.